(Editor’s Note: We are not responsible over any form of content available on other websites. Download their content or software at your own risk.)
When you buy ebooks from Amazon, you have the options of reading them using Amazon Kindle E-Readers, the Kindle Cloud Reader (a website), and the free Kindle app available on iOS, Android, Mac, and PC. But what if you’re a Linux user? Sorry, the app is not available for you — at least not at the moment.
Here is good news if you’re an Ubuntu user (a variant of Linux). You can enjoy reading your Amazon Kindle ebooks through your Ubuntu computer by following the steps below. (These steps are not tested on other Linux computers.)
Installing Kindle For PC
1. Install Wine. (Refer to the tutorial How to Install Wine on Ubuntu 18.04.)
2. After installation, configure Wine by entering the following command in the Ubuntu Terminal:
3. The Wine configuration window will pop up. Go to the Applications tab. At the bottom of the Applications tab, you will see Windows Version with a drop-down list next to it. Choose Windows 8 from the list and click OK.
4. Download the old version (version 1.17.44183) of Kindle For PC from any of these websites:
5. To run the downloaded .exe file in Step 4, right-click on the file and select Open With Wine Windows Program Loader. (If this is unavailable, select Open with Other Application and then choose Wine Windows Program Loader).
6. Kindle For PC will automatically launch after installation. If it doesn’t, go to your desktop and click its shortcut icon there.
7. The Kindle for PC interface will ask you to enter your email address and password registered with Amazon. If your first log-in fails, check your email address if Amazon has sent you a One-Time-Password.
Uninstalling Kindle For PC
1. Press Alt+F2 at the same time.
2. A dialog box that says Enter a command will pop up. Type in wine uninstaller and press Enter.
3. The Add/Remove Programs window will appear. Choose Amazon Kindle.
4. Click Modify/Remove and wait for some seconds for the uninstallation to complete.
5. Click OK.