Joomla is second most-widely used Content Management System on the internet. Joomla advocates often describe the CMS as having the best of both worlds – referring to Joomla having the best features that both WordPress and Drupal, the other two most popular CMS’s online, offer. Joomla is especially popular among news and e-commerce websites. This tutorial will teach you how to install Joomla using Softaculous, which is a piece of software available in cPanel.
1. Go to the cPanel for your hosting account.
2. Scroll down the page to the subheading SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER. Look for Joomla under it and click on it.
3. The Softaculous page for Joomla will appear. Click on the Install button.
4. The Joomla Installation page will appear.
In the Software Setup section, fill in the following information:
- Choose the version you want to install
- Choose Installation URL
When you are in Choose Installation URL, have a look at the field above In Directory towards the right of the page. This is where you will write the name of the directory where you want to install Joomla.
5. In Site Settings, enter the Site Name and Site Description that you want for your website.
6. In Database Settings, choose None from the dropdown list for Import Sample Data
7. In Admin Account, type in the following details for your website:
- Admin Username
- Admin Password
- Real Name
- Admin Email
8. In Choose Language, choose English or your preferred language from the dropdown list next to Select Language.
9. In Advanced Options, you will be able to configure the following:
- Database Name
- Table Prefix
- Disable Update Notifications Emails
- Auto Upgrade
- Backup Location
- Automated backups
- Backup Rotation
10. Click on the Install button and wait for the installation to complete.