By default, WordPress includes the word category in URLs for categories. For example, if your website has a category called fantasy, the URL for the fantasy archive page would be example.com/category/fantasy. For tags, to access the archive page for a specific tag, you have to include the word tag in the URL. For example, if your website has a tag called green, you can access the archive page for green by typing in the URL example.com/tag/green.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to change the words category and tags with different words.
1. Log in to the dashboard of your WordPress website.
2. Go to Settings > Permalinks.
3. Scroll down to the Optional section.
4. In Category base, enter the word that you want to become the base word for your categories.
This will replace the word category in your website’s URLs. For example, if you type in the word books, the archive page for fantasy tag will become example.com/books/fantasy instead of example.com/category/fantasy. The same is true with the other categories of your website.
5. In Tag base, enter the word that you want to become the base word for your tags.
This will replace the word tag in your website’s URLs. For example, if you type in the word color, the archive page for green tag will become example.com/color/green instead of example.com/tag/green. The same is true with the other tags of your website.
6. Click on the Save Changes button.